Important Dates for the 2020 Election
October 5 - Postage paid ballots
- The Essex County Clerk will mail a postage paid ballot to all registered voters by October 5.
October 9 – Receipt of ballots
- If you have not received your postage paid ballot, please call the Essex County Clerk at 973.621.4921 to ensure that you are registered and/or to get a duplicate ballot. If you are not registered, you must register before October 13. If you are registered and unable to receive a duplicate ballot, you can vote via provisional ballot at your polling location on Election day.
October 13 - Voter registration deadline
- To register as a new voter, to change the name and/or address of an existing voter, or to update a signature, a voter registration form must be received by the Essex County Clerk by October 13.
- This form may be completed online with required identification. The registration application may also be printed out and a hard copy mailed to the County Clerk.
- Note that formerly incarcerated citizens may now vote in NJ but must re-register.
- Here is the registration site https://voter.svrs.nj.gov/register Register to Vote
November 3 - Election Day
- Voters may:
- deposit the vote-by-mail ballot into a secure ballot drop box;
- return it via prepaid mail via the US Post Office;
- bring it to the Essex County Board of Elections office at 465 MLK Blvd., Room 411, Newark, NJ; or
- hand it directly to a poll worker at a polling place on Election Day.
- Each municipality will be required to open at least one in-person polling site.
- Any voter who chooses to cast a vote in-person will do so on a provisional ballot only.
- Except for people with disabilities, there will be no polling machines in use at poll sites.
November 10 - Vote by mail
- All ballots being returned through the mail must be postmarked by November 3rd and received no later than 8 pm on November 10.
November 23 - Election certification
- The County will certify it’s final election results to the State on or before this date.